Monday, February 24, 2014

Could You Please Generate Me an Exercise?

On three separate occasions this past week, I heard some very odd words from students.  "Could you please generate me an exercise?" In essence, these kids were telling me, "I think I need a bit more practice on this skill before I can master it."

When was the last time one of your math students asked you for an additional six problems on their homework?

I spent some time in third grade, helping the teacher learn the ropes of Accelerated Math, and couldn't complete a sentence. The kids kept bringing their iPads up to her to show her their score. "Look! I got a 5 out of 5!"

There is something about AM that just works. Maybe it's the instant feedback or the individual pacing. Maybe it's progression toward a goal. I don't know. 

What I do know is that I'm seeing some great student motivation grow out of Accelerated Math. It's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment