Friday, March 1, 2013

App Test Drive


This week in Tools for Tech, my seventh graders did an app test drive.  They spent time trying out various apps, rating them, and giving them written reviews.  I thought I would share the highlights with you in case you’re looking for a fresh new idea for your curriculum.  You can find the full unedited review results at this link.

·         CargoBot: Touted as a way for students to learn coding.  I haven’t seen coding, but it is very taxing on your logic skills. (Rated 2.8 out of 5)
·         Doceri: An interactive whiteboard on your iPad.  I haven’t used this one myself, but I see it all over the place in my reading. (Rated 3.7 out of 5)
·         MaxJournal: It’s a journal.  Good for taking notes or creative writing.  (Rated 4.3 out of 5)
·         Skitch: A drawing app connected to Evernote.  Since you can save your drawings to Evernote, it has lots of great uses.  (Rated 3.09 out of 5)
·         Tinkerbox: A physics and engineering app and very addicting – if the kids’ reaction to it is any indication.  (Rated 4.2 out of 5)

Sadly, there was one app that we all agreed needed to be deleted from the school iPads: iSwifter.  iSwifter is a flash player for iPad.  I won't go into the negatives.  If you like it, enjoy.  Personally, I prefer Rover

What cool apps have you found lately?  

No comments:

Post a Comment