Friday, May 18, 2012

Flubaroo Test Run

I gave my first "test" today using Google Forms and graded by Flubaroo.  It was definitely a dry run, and any errors were probably caused by me rather than the software.  Anyhow, here's my take on the experience. You can see the test (should you want to) using this QR Code.

  • It helps to have a healthy knowledge of how to make a form first. I made a few mistakes, had to do some deleting, and somehow my mistakes found their way to the final spreadsheet.  This means that they made it to my final Flubaroo grading sheet too.  That made for a confusing grade report.
  • Make sure your answer key is correct.  I know.  That's a no-brainer.  However, I did my answer key from memory and didn't bother to double-check my work.  On a paper and pencil test, I can say, "oops!" and fix it.  It's a bit harder on Flubaroo.
  • Taking a test on an iPad is both good and bad.  The good is that I can give them a QR Code and they can go right to it without typing in a long URL.  The bad is that it's way too easy to hit the wrong button on an iPad.  One little touch, and your test could be gone -- sent right to my spread sheet.  I had that happen with a few kids. 
  • I didn't do this, but if you include an email field in your form, you can opt to have the test results and answer key emailed directly to the student.  This is both good and bad.  Good because there is immediate feedback.  Bad because they can forward that immediate feedback to their friends. 

Overall, the kids seemed to like the format, though some wanted paper and pencil to do the work.  I also didn't actually include questions on the form.  I gave them page and problem number.  (You call it laziness.  I call overworked.)  I think that if I gave them actual questions to answer on the form and paper and pencil to work it they would have liked it.

I loved that it was instantly graded and I didn't have to spend time marking it all. I also got to see specific problems that were right and wrong and problems that caused a major issue with the class in general.

Are you using Flubaroo yet?  How are you using it?  What are your thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment